Pen & Fork Blog Turns Two

And they said it wouldn’t last. I’m kidding, no one said that. Except me. But hey, I was wrong.

Not that I would spit on anyone’s food before I served it or anything remotely violent if they had said that.

Most likely, I’d just cry. And there’s no crying in food blogging…unless onions are involved…and in that case, I have my trusty onion goggles.

Last year, I handed out completely unfounded awards to celebrate the 1st anniversary (or birthday?) but this year I have a much better idea.

In the interest of short attention spans (my own), I’m going with only one category:

Best Pen & Fork Photo.

And, more importantly, I want you to vote.

Sure, I could pick one, but that’s almost as lame as last year’s awards (except… shortly after that self-aggrandizing post, Pen & Fork did pick up it’s first, non-aggrandizing award…coincidence? Yeah, probably.)

Anyway, here are this year’s nominees for best photo:

#1 Buttermilk Pancakes with Quinoa

#2 Crazy for Zucchini

#3 Cafe Bink Hosts…

#4 How to Seed a Pomegranate

#5 Mandarin Orange Dust

Cast your vote and you’ll be thrown into a hat (not you literally — your entry) and my trusty assistant (or dog, depending upon who is available) will draw an entry out of the hat.

Fine Print:
Your vote must be cast on THIS post. If you cast your vote on another post, your name will NOT go into the hat. Not that I don’t appreciate any and all comments on any post, but to get into this random drawing, you have to cast your vote in the comments on THIS post. Voting ends Saturday, June 19th at 11:59 p.m. I’ll announce the winner by Tuesday morning, June 22, 2010. Only one vote per person. No alternate entry is valid. Whining, complaining and blatant brown-nosing (although appreciated) will not improve your chances.

The Prize:

The randomly selected commenter will receive a copy of the new Edible: A Celebration of Local Foods.

(Full disclosure: I have a couple entries in this book, mentioned in this previous post, but it’s a really great book in spite of that.)

In all seriousness,  I just want to say thank you…for accompanying me on this journey, with a fork in hand, I hope. Without you? Well, I wouldn’t do this.

Let the voting commence!

Which photo will win “Readers Choice: Best Pen & Fork Photo?”

25 replies
  1. Christina
    Christina says:

What, no heirloom tomato Napoleon? ; ) These all look so good but I’ll have to vote for those buttermilk pancakes with quinoa.

2. Mary
    Mary says:

Thank you, Chef Gwen, for your blog, especially for your recipes. Congrats on Pen & Fork turning 2 – to many more!

My vote is for Buttermilk Pancakes with Quinoa. I love how the picture captures the syrup as it’s being poured. The lighting and styling are perfect too. I may also be bias since pancakes are one of my favorite things to eat.

ps. Loved your tweets from Italy too – made me want to jump on a plane.

3. Kristina@FormerChef
    Kristina@FormerChef says:

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary! You know how much I think you rock! 🙂

I really like the buttermilk pancake photo the best, though I think the orange dust is a close second. But the pancakes photo makes me want to get into the kitchen to make them now. Yum.

4. Lisa
    Lisa says:

Buttermilk Pancakes w/ Quinoa. Oh my! Looks like you used some food stylist tricks, like motor oil or something, on that syrup. Makes me want to make them RIGHT now, at almost 11pm.

Yummy!

5. Barbara
    Barbara says:

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary! I agree with Christina (Buttermilk Pancakes with Quinoa), the photo is simply fabolous, I would like to take pancakes from the … computer screen!!!

6. Jeff Lindsey
    Jeff Lindsey says:

Hmmm … it appears everyone likes the pancakes. My vote goes to “Crazy for Zucchini” Congratulations for 2 years of food blogging!

7. Debbie J. Elder
    Debbie J. Elder says:

The pancakes. I particulary like how the blue background pairs so well with the blackberries and specs of cooked blueberries. As others have said, the syrup drip is ozzing perfectly and makes you want to eat these right now.

8. Bettina
    Bettina says:

Yummy, this is a tuff one pancakes or zucchini, but I am voting for “The Crazy Zuchini”

Congrates on your anniversary

9. Teresa
    Teresa says:

Tough decision, your pictures are awesome……….my vote is for the buttermilk pancakes…….Happy Anniversary and wishes for many more! 🙂

10. Jessica
    Jessica says:

Not only do I feel the need to root for the underdog, #5, the mandarin dust was truly my favorite. I don’t even enjoy mandarin oranges & felt compelled to dustify them after those pics & post! Congrats on turning 2! Here’s to many, many more…

11. Dana
    Dana says:

Congrats Gwen! Two years is huge! The blogosphere is a happier place with you in it. I would say definitely photo #1 but #2 is the thing I want most for you to make for me. 🙂

12. Justin
    Justin says:

Yes, tough call. Pulling up this post for the first time however, being blasted–nearly traumatized–by those quinoa flapjacks, glistening with syrup, my vote couldn’t be changed as I scrolled farther down the page: #1 Buttermilk Pancakes with Quinoa, all the way.

Congrats on your site’s anniversary btw, I know it has always been one of my personal gold standards. It is said that cotton makes for an appropriate year-two gift, therefore I’ve decided I owe you a few twirls of cotton candy. “Cotton” and edible, it’s the best I can think of. (I’m stretching here.)

13. Chelsea B
    Chelsea B says:

Totally Buttermilk Pancakes… Though they are all beautiful.

Congratulations on turning two, that’s like 21 in blogger-years, isn’t it?

14. Sharon Miro
    Sharon Miro says:

Ah, geez–they are all so pretty…but I so like simplicity. The pomegranate.

Let’s do this again at year 20.

15. Linda
    Linda says:

Even though I did read the fine print (and enjoyed it immensely) I still have to say that all the pics are gorgeous! But since I need to pick one, I shall go with the pancakes – stunning! Gratulations on 2 years – you are an inspiration. xoxo

16. Jill Silverman Hough
    Jill Silverman Hough says:

The pancakes – because I know how hard motion makes any shot (and because they’re beautiful). Congratulations, Gwen!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] in other words, and these are the nearly exact copy/pasted words from Gwen’s contest page, I just substituted in my dates. Funny […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!