It’s no secret that Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. Tacos, burritos, tortas — I could eat them 24/7 and never get bored.
While I’m not a vegetarian — not even close — I do love vegetables and all we hear these days from health experts is “eat more vegetables.”
Fine by me when they taste as good as this butternut squash taco.
I love how quick this meal comes together. I roast the squash while I’m chopping the garnishes. Depending upon how fast you are peeling and cutting a butternut squash, you can have this dish on the table in 45 minutes — even faster if you buy already peeled and cubed squash from the grocery store.
I take another short cut, too, using jarred tomatillo salsa. We have a handful of local salsa makers here in Arizona, but when I don’t have one of those on hand, I pick up a jar of Rick Bayless’s Frontera brand tomatillo salsa. It’s tart and has a slight kick.
Feel free to make all kinds of substitutions in the recipe below. Use tomato salsa instead of tomatillo, or use grape or red cherry tomatoes instead of yellow Sun Golds. Don’t like goat cheese? No problem, just substitute another cheese you do like, maybe feta, or farmer’s cheese, or even grated cheddar.
I do think choosing a good corn tortilla is important. I like a brand called LaTortilla Factory I’ve found at Safeway, but it does have wheat flour in it. I like it because it’s thick and chewy and tastes like fresh roasted corn when warmed.
Whatever substitutions you think of, just make these knife-and-fork-style tacos because they’re incredibly delicious.
I promise you won’t miss the meat.
Butternut Squash Tacos
- 3 cups warm, roasted butternut squash cubes
- 6 warmed corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup tomatillo salsa
- 3 to 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 Sun Golds or other cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons (about 2 1/2 ounces) fresh goat cheese
- Place a warm tortilla on a warm plate. Place about 1/2 cup of roasted squash on the tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup shredded cabbage. Spoon 2 tablespoons of salsa over squash and cabbage, and then sprinkle taco with radish slices, chopped tomatoes, scallions and cilantro. Dot with crumbled goat cheese and serve.